Help - GMAT scores - Forum

12/8/2014 11:35 AM   Randy
I recently took a practice GMAT test online and scored a 450 (without studying beforehand, mind you). I get that 450 is quite low, even for someone you had not prepared beforehand. I've begun studying and will take a couple more prep test before going for the real thing, but is this a big red flag? It is even possible to go from a 450 to a 600+ (where I'd like to be for my preferred schools).

RE: Help - GMAT scores
12/9/2014 12:10 PM   GMAT Expert
To be honest, that doesn't sound too good.
To increase you results, I would recommend enrolling in formal courses as these can help you to identify your specific weak points and devise a strategy for improving your scores. Self-study should not be your preferred method.

12/11/2014 11:28 AM   SearchMBA
Hi Randy,

Keep you head up! While it may seem daunting to bring up your scores, there are a lot of resources out there. I would absolutely recommend dedicating some serious time to studying and practicing your skills if your goal is to go to a top business school - classes can be a real help in this area.

Another thing you can do is take a college math course (not a GMAT prep course) to improve your general math skills. This would reflect positively on your applications as a candidate who takes initiative to improve themselves. Good scores in such a class would help boost your overall profile.

Best,

SearchMBA

12/15/2014 11:38 AM   Anthony
After taking a formal GMAT prep course (my local community college offered it at a great price), I brought my practice scores up from 500 to 575. I have yet to take the actual test, but with a bit more practice, I feel confident that i can make my target score of 600. You should absolutely look into courses in your area.

2/18/2015 4:23 PM   Matt
I used to tutor Korean kids in the SAT. OK, OK so it's not the GMAT. BUT. Even though it's supposedly an "aptitude test" it was totally possible for them to way increase their score with hard work and getting to know the test better.

When I taught them, I found the best formula was to spend the majority of the time trying to increase their skills on areas of the test they had problems with and then a bit of time each session preparing them for the quirky ways the test works. Then as homework I gave them a lot of writing to do and a practice test. I used their wrong answers on the practice test to know which areas we needed to work on.

Can you afford to hire a tutor or maybe just someone you know who aced the GMAT?

Find education within category

Want to study your MBA abroad?

At educations.com, you can find and compare hundreds of MBA programs from top international universities and business schools around the globe.

Browse 900+ MBAs abroad

Register for our newsletter
Subscribe to searchmba.com newsletter about MBA programs!
User Login