Is an MBA in Entrepreneurship flexible for both corporate and non-profit sectors? - Forum

3/17/2015 11:54 AM   Samantha
My dream is to start my own non-profit. However, I would like to work in the profit sector for a while to really hone my skills at running an efficient organisation plus I think that for-profit companies can afford the best training and are usually ahead of the curve. Am I crazy? Will an MBA in entrepreneurship be well-spent or should I just jump right into non-profit and possibly get an MBA specialized in non-profits. Advice is welcome and appreciated.

RE: Is an MBA in Entrepreneurship flexible for both corporate and non-profit sectors?
3/24/2015 2:46 PM   SearchMBA
Hi Samantha,

What a great question. Ultimately you will have to decide whether you would like to launch directly into non-profit or apply private sector knowledge to the non-profit world.

However, here are some things I would take into account:

Are you equally interested in doing working in entrepreneurship in the private sector? If it is something that would stimulate you and that you would enjoy, it would not be a wasted experience. Engagement gives the biggest pay-off. On the other hand, if non-profits are truly your joy, why not start off right away?

Will you get the support that you need and make the right connections? Consulting the admissions departments of various MBA programs and getting in touch with some graduates should give you a feel for whether the school is nurtures start-ups.

Here are some places to start.
Entrepreneurship MBAs:http://www.searchmba.com/find-mba/entrepreneurship-programs
Non-profit sector MBAs: http://www.searchmba.com/find-mba/nonprofit-and-public-sector-programs

To get in touch with admissions, you can fill out the green information request button and start asking away!

Good luck,
Abby

Find education within category

Want to study your MBA abroad?

At educations.com, you can find and compare hundreds of MBA programs from top international universities and business schools around the globe.

Browse 900+ MBAs abroad

Register for our newsletter
Subscribe to searchmba.com newsletter about MBA programs!
User Login