MBA background checks - Forum

11/17/2014 3:37 PM   Massimiliano
Do MBA programs conduct background checks? Would they find out about back academics in my past?

RE: MBA background checks
11/18/2014 12:58 PM   SearchMBA
Hi Massimiliano,

It is quite common that business schools will conduct background checks on their applicants. Background checks are most often conducted for criminal records, but they can also be done to discover any information about an application that should have been disclosed, but was not (i.e. previous degrees).

In general, you are much better off disclosing all relevant information and explaining it in context. If the business school discovered hidden information, you would absolutely be rejected/expelled whereas by disclosing information, you have an opportunity to redeem yourself and possibly get admitted.

Best,
SearchMBA

11/19/2014 9:08 AM   Massimiliano
I didn't do too well in certain classes, but ended up retaking some of them for higher marks later. Is that something that I should mention?

11/19/2014 11:15 AM   SearchMBA
Hi Massimiliano,

I would recommend being honest about any poor marks and explain in your statements that you later retook the courses. This is much less of a risk that hoping a school will not discover the poor marks. Taking the initiative to retake courses also shows that you are willing to work hard to achieve your goals, which business schools will appreciate. High scores on your GMAT can also help compensate for this.

Hope this is helpful,

SearchMBA

11/20/2014 3:31 PM   Massimiliano
I'll work out a way to bring it up and explain that I retook the classes in my statements of purpose. I may even take a few more classes before them...

11/24/2014 12:00 PM   SearchMBA
HI Massimiliano,

That sounds like an excellent strategy. Study hard for your GMAT!

Find education within category

Want to study your MBA abroad?

At educations.com, you can find and compare hundreds of MBA programs from top international universities and business schools around the globe.

Browse 900+ MBAs abroad

Register for our newsletter
Subscribe to searchmba.com newsletter about MBA programs!
User Login