How to Explain Year Abroad in MBA Application - Forum

3/17/2015 11:11 AM   Andrea
Hi! I worked for three years in market research but I am halfway through a gap year in Asia teach English and otherwise "finding myself." What I've found is I want to get back into marketing but out of pricing and I think a great way to do that is to get my MBA and re-enter the job market a bit fresher and more qualified. My question is: How do I explain my year out of marketing teaching English to tots and partying?

RE: How to Explain Year Abroad in MBA Application
3/24/2015 3:08 PM   SearchMBA
What an awesome question! As we become increasingly globalised, living and working abroad is easier and more common than ever. Especially amongst us adventurous millennials.

I would imagine that your year abroad has made you a very resourceful problem-solver with plenty of new perspectives and skills. Sell the positives and don't discount that experience that not everyone was brave enough to do!

My advice would be to do some thinking about how the experience made you grow and pull out specific situations that might help you out in your interview.

If you didn't get enough of Asia, maybe you should consider doing an MBA there? Here is a list of programs in Asia that you can sort down to countries: http://www.searchmba.com/find-mba/asia/d42

Find education within category

Want to study your MBA abroad?

At educations.com, you can find and compare hundreds of MBA programs from top international universities and business schools around the globe.

Browse 900+ MBAs abroad

Register for our newsletter
Subscribe to searchmba.com newsletter about MBA programs!
User Login