A small-town MBA - Forum

12/11/2014 11:33 AM   Dennis
I come from a smallish town (North Platte, NE) and want to pursue an MBA, but I am debating on the real importance of attending a well-known school. While I could commute to Omaha, it would put a real stress on myself, my family and my work. Would it be ill-advised to look for a program a bit closer, but less known, or perhaps an online program?

RE: A small-town MBA
12/17/2014 9:03 AM   John Gilmund MBA Consult
Hi Dennis,

Choosing the right program is a a critical cross point in life. When deciding on a program, it is best to consider the big picture and namely, what you want to get out of an MBA. In many career paths, a recognized university MBA can make a significant impact when compared to and unknown MBA program without international credentials.

Completing and an MBA program can also cause significant strain on one's professional and personal life and in your case, the well-being of yourself, your family and the possibility for you to continue working while doing a long commute must be considered.

Sincerely,

John Gilmund

12/19/2014 1:06 PM   SearchMBA

Hi Dennis,

We, here at SearchMBA, agree with John in many respects - deciding on the right MBA program is a big decision and requires consideration for many factors. If you can determine that the commute to Omaha would not be too much of a strain the long-term benefits of a known and recognised MBA may outweigh the convenience of an alternative program.

Another option you could consider is an online or blended learning MBA - these allow you to get the benefit of a great school, while flexibly studying from anywhere and at almost any time.

Online MBA Programs

Best,

SearchMBA

12/19/2014 6:43 PM   David Petersam, AdmissionsConsultants

Hi Dennis,

Depending on your particular career goals, a local commuter MBA program may be as effective as a top-tier, and likely much more expensive, business school. 

Best regards,

David Petersam

Find education within category

Want to study your MBA abroad?

At educations.com, you can find and compare hundreds of MBA programs from top international universities and business schools around the globe.

Browse 900+ MBAs abroad

Register for our newsletter
Subscribe to searchmba.com newsletter about MBA programs!
User Login