Want to receive regular updates on MBA programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
The Gothenburg Executive MBAUniversity of Gothenburg: Business, Economics and Law
The Gothenburg Executive MBA Programme - designed to meet participants' needs
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme is a part-time management programme conducted in English over two years that inspires students to access the latest thinking within management – and then challenges them to consolidate and apply these insights to their daily work.
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme is an international-grade, academic programme which will develop your managerial skills and prepare yourself for future career opportunities.
The programme assists in both setting direction through these difficult economic conditions as well as providing knowledge and skills to develop and execute strategic initiatives within the participants’ organisations. We like to believe that we have designed our Executive MBA programme with a few unique features that set us apart and appeal to our students. We deliver our programme with a broad, international faculty supported by top-level lecturers. We have taken great care to adapt the learning process to the needs of managers in demanding positions.
Two valuable years, including two separate one-week residencies in Asia
Our programme includes two separate one-week residencies at our partner Universities; the Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China and the Indian Institute of Management in Bangalore, India. In addition, spending two calendar years on the programme will help you to create a highly valuable personal and business network and let you become part of a distinguished alumni network.
Key facts of the programme:
- There is one intake every year in October.
- It is a part-time programme conducted in English over 21 months.
- The programme is designed for managers with an academic degree from the private or the public sector.
- Class sessions take place every third weekend (Thursday - Saturday).
- There are two overseas modules: one week at Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China and another week at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India.
- The alumni network reaches 12,000.
- Upon graduation, participants receive an academic degree; Master (60 ECTS) in Business Administration granted by the University of Gothenburg.
Application and Admission Requirements
Recent participants on the Gothenburg Executive MBA programme have originated from a wide range of educational and professional backgrounds, such as law, engineering, economics, architecture, and social sciences.
We know the programme benefits from having a heterogeneous group composition because by having participants from all walks of life, different perspectives on problems are highlighted in the class room, overall:
- The average proportion of female participants is 35 %
- The average age of the participants is 40 years
- The average proportion of participants from the public sector is 10 %
Admission requirements for the Gothenburg Executive MBA:
- All applicants are expected to have an undergraduate degree equivalent to 180 ECTS (120 p) with at least 90 ECTS (60 p) in a single subject. Out of these, a minimum of 15 ECTS (10 p) must be a thesis project, conducted individually or in a project team.
- Undergraduate studies in business administration are not a mandatory requirement for applicants. Participants originate from a wide range of educational and professional backgrounds, such as law, engineering, economics, architecture, and social sciences. Actually, the programme benefits from having a heterogeneous group.
- Admission to the programme is based primarily on your professional development after obtaining your undergraduate degree. The more successful that you have been in your career and professional development, the higher priority you will get in the admission process. This is why we stress the importance of including a detailed description of merits as well as your past and current areas of responsibility in your application.
- A minimum of three years of relevant professional experience is required. In recent years, however, successful applicants have had more than five years of professional experience.
Degree and diploma etc.
The School of Business, Economics and Law at University of Gothenburg is EQUIS accredited.
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg awards you an academic degree equivalent of 60 ECTC.
In Europe, programme requirements are defined and monitored by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD), which awards an EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) accreditation to schools with programmes that meet their standards. The EQUIS seal of approval has been granted to 120 business schools around the world.
A global perspective
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme takes place in Gothenburg, Sweden at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg. There are two overseas modules when participants will study at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China and at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India.
As a participant to our programme you will travel to Asia with intensive fulltime schedules. During a residency, you typically spend mornings on campus with academic workshops lead by the local faculty. Afternoons are devoted to well-prepared field trips to multinational and local companies and organisations. Evenings are used for debriefing and reflection.
By combining the learning from the academic workshops with the experiential learning from the field trips, you will acquire a truly global perspective to undertaking business with Asia. Even if your organisation does not actively undertake business with Asia today, the developments in these markets will certainly affect you and your organization indirectly.
Benefits of the Executive MBA
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme at the School of Business, Economics and Law has the following key benefits:
- Inspires you to access the latest thinking within management
- Challenges you to apply these new insights to your daily work
- Gives you a head start in navigating in a rapidly changing world
- Provides knowledge and skills to develop and execute strategic initiatives
- Creates a valuable personal and business network
Pursuing an Executive MBA is serious work. It demands time and commitment from both the participant and the sponsoring organisation. What can you, as a partcipant or a sponsoring organisation, expect in return?
Some keywords to describe the return on investments from the Gothenburg Executive MBA programme:
- Updated knowledge and skills
- Career enhancement
- Increased job responsibility
- Salary increase
- Access to the latest thinking
- Exposed to business practice in Asia
- Access to valuable business networks
- Take advantage of global opportunities
Delivering Executive MBA Programmes since 1977
The School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg has been delivering Executive Master of Business Administration (Executive MBA) programmes since 1977 and is proud to have built a considerable reputation in this field.
Participants to the University of Gothenburg's Executive MBA must be educated to an appropriate academic standard and have significant managerial experience in either the private or public sector. Participants aspire to progress their careers and are prepared to make a significant investment in achieving this qualification. Participants all hold responsible senior positions and intend to continue working, while attending the programme.
Expenses / Tuition Fees
The course fee is 410 000 SEK, excluding VAT. This fee includes lectures, supervision and all mandatory study literature. It also includes refreshments and lunches.
Gothenburg Executive MBA Curriculum
The Gothenburg Executive MBA programme is designed to access the latest management knowledge, to build the skills needed to address your current business challenges as well as to exploit new business opportunities.
The programme offers you the possibility to develop a profound understanding of management and leadership, of how the various functions of an organisation interwork and how they can be effectively managed. We will also explore the financial, legal and social ramifications of business management in a globalised world and of how modern leadership can make a real difference in reinventing businesses.
The curriculum is divided into four terms. Each term includes a number of interrelated modules that are sequenced to provide a logical progression of the learning
Term 1: Implementing Strategies
"How to formulate and implement strategies"
- Strategic Management
- Management Accounting
- Organisational Structure and Culture
- Organisational Behaviour
- Quantitative Methods
Term 2: Managing Functions
"How to manage important functions of a company"
- Corporate Finance
- Supply Chain Management
- Residency in China
- IT Governance
- Human Resource Management
Term 3: Succeeding in a Globalised World
"How to understand and exploit opportunities offered by a changing world"
- Applied Economics
- Financial Markets
- Geopolitics and Economic Development
- Innovation Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Corporate Law
- Intellectual Property and Knowledgebased Business Management
- International Business
Term 4: Renewing Business
"How to design and mobilise renewal of your business"
- Creative Leadership
- Residency in India
- Change Management
During term four, the programme includes the development of a thesis corresponding to 15 ECTS*. The topic of this thesis is carefully selected by the participant, the sponsoring organisation and the School. Twice during the programme we will travel to Asia, to obtain an up to date perspective on undertaking business there as well as experiencing Chinese and Indian cultures first hand.
The School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg has high ambitions, aiming to educate students internationally, to ensure responsible attitudes to societal development and to conduct world-class research to help identify solutions for complex global problems....
Watch the Video
MBA Reviews by students
Find out more about this The Gothenburg Executive MBA - Simply fill out your details: