Want to receive regular updates on MBA programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
2-Year MBA Program - Study at Hitotsubashi ICS and at their BEST Alliance Partners
The Hitotsubashi ICS MBA is a two-year full-time program delivered in Tokyo, Japan, one of the world's largest and most dynamic cities. Students of the program will be able to develop skills for a Japanese, Asian and international business context and the possibility to study abroad at and earn a second degree from Hitotsubashi University's partner institutions.
Over two years with Hitotsubashi ICS, you will develop a new management and cultural perspective: you will study business administration from Japan's perspective and incorporate it in a global business administration model. The program covers essential best practice in business, as well as specialized areas, such as international finance, global management, business ethics, brand management, marketing, strategic thinking and more.
Teaching Philosophy & Opportunity
The MBA curriculum has been designed to foster a deep understanding of best business practices in the Japanese, Asian and international contexts. You will be exposed to a wide range of business philosophies that engage the deeper questions of business. Rather than being provided with the "right" answers, you will gain a collective understanding of diversity and innovation, tolerance for ambiguity and the courage to embrace paradox, which will enable you to navigate the most complex of scenarios.
The program is divided into two core parts, providing both the essentials of advanced business practice and an opportunity to customize the curriculum to individual goals and interests. During the second year of the program, you will be able to mix and match elective courses, study abroad at Hitotsubashi University's partner institutions, start a new business or engage in an individual research project.
As part of the BEST Alliance partnership between Hitotsubashi ICS, Peking University and Seoul National University, students enrolled in the 2-year MBA route, may study their second year abroad and get their MBA title recognized by the three universities.
Engagement First: Student to Teacher Ratios
Each cohort of students consists of approximately 50 students. By keeping the student to teacher ratio low, Hitotsubashi ICS can maintain a high level of student-faculty engagement and enable students and peers to develop meaningful relationships. Being selective, small class sizes are designed to include highly motivated, talented individuals, providing candidates with access to a valuable professional network.
Application and Admission Requirements
Every year, a cohort of 50 students are admitted to the two-year MBA program. Class sizes are kept to a minimum to ensure that each candidate receives every opportunity to engage with faculty and develop meaningful relationships with their peers. The program is highly international and is ideal for both Japanese and non-Japanese students.
- A minimum of 3 years' full-time work experience
In order to quality, candidates must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Graduated from an accredited university or college, which meets the requirements of Article 83 of the School Education Law of Japan
- Received a Bachelor's degree under Article 104 of the School Education Law of Japan
- Completed at least 16 years of education with a Bachelor's degree or engineering degree from accredited universities in countries other than Japan
- Those who have completed specialized courses after the date specified by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology at vocational colleges offering programs of four years or more and recognized by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Those who have enrolled in a graduate school through an early admission system under the second paragraph of Article 103 of the School Education Law of Japan, and the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS judges the applicant to possess the academic competence to undertake graduate studies.
- Those whom the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS has judged to have an academic competence equivalent by individual admissions screening, and those whose age is over 22 years old.
- Those whom the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS has, pursuant to its rules and regulations, judged to have an academic competence equivalent.
Candidates are considered based on their total competencies, experiences and demonstrated potential. The following must be included in applications:
- Academic transcripts which include areas of strength and study trends
- Proof of English fluency, if English is not your native language
- Official GMAT scores of 600 or above
- Employment history, statement of purpose and letters of recommendation from professional sources
- A face-to-face or telephone interview
Degree and diploma etc.
Upon successful completion of the program, candidates will be awarded the Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Hitotsubashi University, recognized by academic and professional bodies from all over the world.
Candidates who choose to study their second year abroad at one of ICS's BEST Alliance partners in China and South Korea, receive a second degree from the partner university attended, Seoul National University or Peking University.
Expenses / Tuition Fees
The cost of this two-year program includes:
- Matriculation fee: 282,000 yen
- Tuition fee: 535,800 yen per year, payable in two installments
- Course materials: 180,000 - 230,000 yen
- Living expenses: 120,000 - 180,000 yen / month
- Transportation: 100,000 yen
- Incidentals: 100,000 - 200,000 yen
- First year total fees: 2,600,000 - 3,500,000 yen
- Second year total fees: 2,000,000 - 2,800,000 yen
There are several scholarships available to foreign students. These include faculty merit scholarships and company scholarships. The scholarship situation varies year by year depending on donations from companies and faculty.
Scholarships for international students are awarded to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Non-Japanese citizenship
- Outstanding admission record
- Not already a recipient of other scholarships
- Self-financed and in need-based aid
Currently, more than half of the Japanese students enrolled in the MBA program at Hitotsubashi ICS are sponsored by their employers.
Hitotsubashi University Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy
Seed your ideas in the best of two worlds, combining the advantages of opposites and embracing diversity at Hitotsubashi ICS. Local & Global -A campus located in Tokyo, a city at the heart of cultural convergence, with a global network...
Watch the Video
Study your MBA in Japan at Hitotsubashi ICS!