Want to receive regular updates on MBA programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
1-Year MBA Program at Hitotsubashi ICS - Earn a top MBA in one year
The full-time MBA program at ICS is a highly competitive program for professionals with global ambitions. The program provides an ideal learning environment, where you can develop your business skills and connect with talented and ambitious individuals.
An MBA program with a global perspective
At Hitotsubashi ICS in Tokyo, Japan, the MBA program works to develop a new generation of global leaders with the skill to navigate an international and Asia-centric marketplace.
During the one-year program, you will enrich your business perspective with a new angle: study business administration from Japan's perspective and incorporate it in a global business model.
The program covers international best practice in business administration and specialized skills in International Management and Finance, Business Ethics, Organizational Behavior, Marketing, Strategic Thinking and more. In addition, you will gain first-hand experience doing business in the Japanese, Asian and international contexts and the expertise to create various perspective for a shared vision.
Student to Teacher Ratio
Hitotsubashi ICS has a small student body, which provides each candidate with the opportunity to engage and build lasting relationships with faculty and mentors. With only 3 students for every member of faculty, MBA candidates have the unique possibility of getting to know their classmates intimately by working in small groups throughout their project work.
Effective business practices are at the center of the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA curriculum. You will be exposed to leading business and management concepts that will provide you with key understandings, rather than simply the "right" answer. With a holistic understanding of diversity, an tolerance for ambiguity, the skills to combine opposite forces and the courage to challenge conventional wisdom, you will become able to innovate your way to success.
The 1-year MBA curriculum provides a universal management model that suits both the international business sphere and Japanese and Asian business markets. Providing a unique perspective to Asian business practices, you will also be exposed to popular and progressive schools of thought and case studies used in Asian business models.
Application and Admission Requirements
Each MBA cohort is limited to 50 students. This small class size ensures that each candidate receives every opportunity to engage with faculty and develop meaningful relationships with their peers. The program is highly international and is ideal for both Japanese and non-Japanese students.
- A minimum of 3 years' full-time work experience
In order to quality, candidates must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Graduated from an accredited university or college, which meets the requirements of Article 83 of the School Education Law of Japan
- Received a Bachelor's degree under Article 104 of the School Education Law of Japan
- Completed at least 16 years of education with a Bachelor's degree or engineering degree from accredited universities in countries other than Japan
- Those who have completed specialized courses after the date specified by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology at vocational colleges offering programs of four years or more and recognized by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Those who have enrolled in a graduate school through an early admission system under the second paragraph of Article 103 of the School Education Law of Japan, and the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS judges the applicant to possess the academic competence to undertake graduate studies.
- Those whom the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS has judged to have an academic competence equivalent by individual admissions screening, and those whose age is over 22 years old.
- Those whom the Admissions Committee of Hitotsubashi ICS has, pursuant to its rules and regulations, judged to have an academic competence equivalent.
Candidates are considered based on their total competencies, experiences and demonstrated potential. The following must be included in applications:
- Academic transcripts which include areas of strength and study trends
- Proof of English fluency, if English is not your native language
- Official GMAT scores of 600 or above
- Employment history, statement of purpose and letters of recommendation from professional sources
- A face-to-face or telephone interview
Degree and diploma etc.
At the end of the program, successful candidates receive a Master of Business Administration (MBA), from Hitotsubashi University, recognized by academic and professional bodies from all over the world.
Expenses / Tuition Fees
The cost of this one-year program includes:
- Matriculation fee: 282,000 yen
- Tuition fee: 535,800 yen, payable in two installments
- Course materials: 180,000 - 230,000 yen
- Living expenses: 120,000 - 180,000 yen / month
- Transportation: 100,000 yen
- Incidentals: 100,000 - 200,000 yen
Total fees: 2,600,000 - 3,500,000 yen
There are several scholarships available to foreign students. These include faculty merit scholarships and company scholarships. The scholarship situation varies year by year depending on donations from companies and faculty.
Scholarships for international students are awarded to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Non-Japanese citizenship
- Outstanding admission record
- Not already a recipient of other scholarships
- Self-financed and in need-based aid
Currently, more than half of the Japanese students enrolled in the MBA program at Hitotsubashi ICS are sponsored by their employers.
Young Leaders Program (YLP)
Hitotsubashi is among 5 Japanese business schools participating in the Young Leaders program (YLP). This program works to develop professionals with the talents to contribute to the fostering of relationships between Asian nations and the future development of Asian and non-Asian countries.
MBA Program Curriculum
During the year, all candidates must complete 50 credits of courses. This curriculum has been designed to provide a global perspective to business and explore Asia's role in the international marketplace. Candidates will earn the knowledge and skills needed for leading role in a global economy.
The Hitotsubashi MBA has the support of many intellectual collaborations with some of Japan's leading companies to deliver sponsorships and research alliances that contribute to an understanding of institutional and cultural diversity.
- Accounting (2)
- Business Ethics (2)
- Business, Government & International Economy (2)
- Corporate Finance I (3)
- Financial Reporting (2)
- Foundation Week
- Global Citizenship (2)
- Global Network Project (3)
- Japanese Business and Economy (2)
- Knowledge Management I (2)
- Knowledge Week
- Marketing (2)
- Operations Management (2)
- Organizational Behavior I (2)
- Quantitative Business Analysis (2)
- Strategy (2)
- Strategy Simulation Week (2)
- Applied Corporate Finance (2)
- Brand Strategy & Design (2)
- Competitiveness & Clusters (2)
- Control (2)
- Customer Behavior (2)
- Doing Business in Asia (2)
- Dynamic Competitive Strategy (2)
- Entrepreneurial Management (2)
- Global Network Week (1)
- Human Resource Management (2)
- Independent Research (2)
- Intensive Writing (2)
- International Business (2)
- Japanese Culture (2)
- Japanese Language Basic I (1)
- Japanese Language Advanced I (1)
- Japanese Language Intermediate I (1)
- Knowledge Generation (2)
- Management of Energy Business (2)
- Marketing Research & Analysis (2)
- Negotiation (2)
- Service Management (2)
- Strategy in Emerging Markets (2)
- Japanese Language Intermediate II (2)
- Japanese Language Advanced II (2)
- Capital Markets (2)
- Corporate Entrepreneurship (2)
- Japanese Language Intermediate III (2)
- Japanese Language Advanced III (2)
- Entrepreneurial Finance (2)
- Equity Investments (2)
- Applied Operations Management (2)
- Japanese Language Intermediate IV (2)
- Japanese Language Advanced IV (2)
Hitotsubashi University Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy
Seed your ideas in the best of two worlds, combining the advantages of opposites and embracing diversity at Hitotsubashi ICS. Local & Global -A campus located in Tokyo, a city at the heart of cultural convergence, with a global network...
Watch the Video
Study your MBA in Japan at Hitotsubashi ICS!