Want to receive regular updates on MBA programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a doctoral program for senior professional managers/administrators. It combines coursework and research investigations.
The mission of the DBA Program is to create the body of knowledge embedded in practice, and the ultimate vision is to develop and disseminate management theories, grounded in the Asian business practices and experiences, including case studies and industry analyses. The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) aims:
- To enhance leadership and strategic skills of DBA candidates.
- To enable DBA participants to analyse and refine management practices and create additional value for their organizations.
- To help DBA participants to acquire advanced management research skills and holistic knowledge of strategic issues in order to lead and manage organizations more effectively and in socially responsible ways.
- To prepare DBA participants to carry out research in organizational context based on their practical experiences and translating it to management theories.
The DBA equips participants will research skills and methodologies and provide opportunities to carry out holistic research, integrating seven management areas:
- Market Models
- Management Control
- Organization Behaviour
A participant can carry out research in any one area integrating it with strategic management and other managerial functions.
The program is normally to be completed within 3 to 5 years based on requirement of 84 credits (1 credit=15 contact hours). The courses are offered in seminar mode and in modular form. Both in-class contact and extensive use of online interaction will be involved in teaching and learning each course.
Application and Admission Requirements
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience, of which at least 3 years’ experience in senior management/administrative position. Candidates with significant experience in senior positions but less than 10 years of overall experience may be considered.
- MBA/EMBA from recognised academic institutions or corporate universities.
- Other Master’s degree subject to the completion of MBA-level required courses as specified by the DBA program faculty. However, for students with 15 years’ work experience, of which 7 years’ experience in senior management/ administrative position, the additional completion of MBA-level required courses, may be exempted.
- Proof of proficiency in English language.
- A letter from CEO/head of organizations supporting the candidate’s application and research work.
- A write-up on research motivation and proposed research theme.
Selection Process The selection to the program will be based on several criteria such as academic qualifications, experience, professional accomplishments, level of responsibility of the applicant and statement of purpose. An interview may also be arranged before the final selection is made.
Degree and diploma etc.
Graduation requires successful defence of dissertation. Further, based on the dissertation, graduation also requires completion of one publishable quality comprehensive case with a teaching note accepted by a reputable case clearing house or peer reviewed journal that publishes management cases. Alternatively, the student may publish a research article in refereed professional journal.
Advantages of the AIT Business Administration Doctor
The program will provide an opportunity to practising managers to investigate the ongoing practices of the Asian companies and develop new contextual theories, or theories that will complement those built around the practices of the Western companies. There are several companies in Asia which have excellent performance and have deviated from established practices in the West. Hence, they provide excellent opportunity for research and developing new management paradigms or theories entrenched in Asian practices.
The DBA curriculum is designed based on the needs and preferences of industry experts. It is interdisciplinary, integrative and adopts a holistic approach. The required course work is structured into three perspectives: Research Methodology, Knowledge Building and Research Specialization including Thesis writing component.
The intellectual atmosphere at SOM is characterized by the diversity and flexibility of the faculty. The faculty represents a wide range of management concerns and research interests. A key element of SOM is a body of faculty that excels both in research and in teaching and particularly, executive education. In addition, most have had extensive experience in industry and/or consultancy. They balance theoretical and practical concerns in both their teaching and research. A highly qualified and experienced faculty from 12 countries facilitates the student learning and provides a real multi-cultural approach to management education.
SOM provides individuals with a supportive environment in which they can develop their skills and aptitudes, helping them to reach their professional goals and to serve the interests of countries in the Asia-Pacific region. There is an international approach to management education with SOM's faculty having extensive experience in Asia and the rest of the world. Courses and their contents are adapted to the needs of managers who will be operating in Asia and other parts of the World.
Expenses / Tuition Fees
The total cost of the program is Baht 1,296,000 which includes tuition fee, registration fee, books and course materials.
Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
The School of Management (SOM) at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) is Asia's pioneer business school for graduate studies offering Ph.D., MBA and diploma programs. AIT provides exceptional individuals with a supportive environment in which they can develop their...
Find out more about this Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Simply fill out your details:
No reviews available